We all have different preferences when it comes to the way we sleep. Some of us prefer to layer ourselves with clothes and be as cozy as possible, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, some of us like to sleep in the nude.
Both ways have their benefits of course. But as it turns out, sleeping in the nude has some great advantages that you probably didn’t know about. Again, it all comes down to personal preferences though.
If you are someone who freezes at night and needs to layer up to avoid turning into an icicle overnight, especially in the winter, then sleeping in the nude probably isn’t for you. However, if you’re not, then sleeping in the nude is liberating. Here are several other benefits:
1. Your body temperature is regulated: If you sleep with PJs on, your body needs a while to adjust to the heat. However, if you sleep completely naked, your body stays at about the same temperature day and night
2. It keeps your hormones balanced: When you sleep naked, the hormone melatonin is released naturally. A balanced level of melatonin guarantees great sleep.
3. Your romantic relationship could flourish: Sleeping in the nude with your partner will strengthen your relationship because physical contact releases the hormone oxytocin. The fewer clothes you have on, the more you feel the hormones and emotions.
4. It’s generally relaxing: Cortisol is a stress hormone that is heightened when you feel hot. Taking off your clothes and cooling off will minimize the release of the hormone.
5. You’ll feel better: Sleeping in the nude will improve your blood circulation which means you’ll have a deeper sleep and wake up feeling more rested.
6. It’s easier: When you don’t wear anything going to bed, you can get up and get your day clothes on right away. There isn’t any morning delay because you don’t have clothes to put away.
7. It can help your skin: Your body gets to breathe. Unless you’re a full-time nudist, the clothes you wear throughout the day restrict your skin. Sleeping nude gives your body a chance to air out and breathe.
8. Balances your growth hormones: If you keep your sleeping environment below 70 degrees (F) every night, it helps regulate your body’s growth hormone levels. These chemicals prevent aging and are essential to good health.