You go to a restaurant, you try their amazing food and you are just dying to know what their secret is. How do they get their food to just taste so perfect and you can’t even perfect scrambled eggs? Well, we’re about to give you some tips that will change your entire cooking game.
Professional chefs, for the most part, like to keep their cooking tricks a total secret. The only people who really learn their ways are their cooking students. But if you aren’t planning on going into culinary school, we found some cooking wisdom for you.
Here are 15 cooking tricks that professional chefs from around the world have revealed. These are sure to help make your food taste a little better, maybe as good as Gordon Ramsay’s. Maybe even better!
Some of these tricks are pretty simple, and some might be a little out of the ordinary. But regardless, if you try some or all of them, it’s sure to make you enjoy your meal just a little more.
1. Thinking of frying a piece of meat that just came out of the fridge? Don’t! Leave it out for an hour or 2 before you cook it. Once it’s at room temperature, you’ll fry the meat evenly and get a great meal!
2. How to get the juiciest meat? Simply take 3 cups of water, add ¼ cup of salt and ¼ cup of sugar. Pour the brine onto your meat so that the liquid covers it, and put the bowl in a fridge. How long the brining goes for will depend on the thickness of the chops you have.
3. To enhance the taste of the black pepper or cumin in your dish, simply toss them in a pan over medium heat, toasting them until they’re fragrant. Once you do this, you can use a mortar and pestle to grind your spices.
4. Want to cook the perfect dough? All you have to do is follow this one simple rule and you will achieve it! Just take the butter and eggs out of the fridge the night before…until they are at room temperature. That’s it! You’ll notice such a difference.
5. Want to fry fish on a grill and get a delicate crust? Easy! Just spread some mayonnaise on it to get a tasty delicate crust. All you need is a pastry brush and dip the tip in the sauce. You can add some salt and then grill it!
6. What’s the secret to cooking the best steak? Alain Ducasse, one of the most famous chefs in the world, revealed his secret for cooking the perfect steak. It’s placed on its edge because it renders fat. Once you do that, the steak cooks in beef fat, creating an appetizing crust on the edges. That way you don’t need oil while cooking it!
7. Before you mash your boiled potatoes, dry them properly. Put them in a heated frying pan and keep them there until all the remaining water dries out. Don’t let the heat fry them. Once dry, you’ll get the yummiest creamy mashed potatoes.
8. Before you start cooking veggie cream soup, fry all the vegetables separately with olive oil. Then simply add water or a broth. The frying will caramelize the sugar in the veggies and really enhance their flavor. The food will be so delicious.
9. Wanna get the best pancakes? Always add 2 tablespoons of sour cream to your pancake mix. This trick works for all kinds of pancakes and they turn out to be fluffy, free of cracks and most importantly….tasty!
10. Sugar isn’t only used to sweeten your food. It also works as a good seasoning. Add a bit of sugar to a dish with pickled or fresh tomatoes or a tomato paste. The sugar will reduce their natural sourness and make any meal super tasty.
11. Perfectly fried eggs. That’s a tricky one. There are 3 components: thick-walled frying pan, butter, and minimum heat. Heat up the frying pan, add ½ tablespoon of butter. Make sure it melts slowly and doesn’t reach a sizzle. Break the eggs, and cook for 4-5 minutes.
12. Getting a clear broth is the most important part of a lot of soups, sauces and other dishes. You need to cook a chicken on a low heat without a cover for 3 hours. Don’t let it boil. After cooking it for 1.5 hours, you can add parsley, celery, carrots, and onions.
13. How to get a crispy bread crust? Just put a bowl of water into your over when you bake. The steam will naturally work its magic and you’ll manage to get a nice, crispy, delicious bread crust. Usually, people have difficulty achieving the perfect crust. Either it’s too pale or too thick.
14. Cooking onions CORRECTLY is key. Use a medium heat for frying, and add both cooking oil and butter to the heated frying pan. Cut the onions, and fry them with some salt. The salt helps get rid of the unpleasant onion smell, helps them cook quicker and caramelizes to add a sweet flavor.
15. If you love eating garlic, but don’t want to ruin your chances with a date, don’t worry. Don’t add garlic to the dish. Rather, apply some garlic juice to the plate. That way you’ll avoid smelling really bad and enjoy your favorite flavor!