Choosing the right dog breed is not easy. There’s a ton to consider when picking the right dog for yourself and your family (if you are living with others). People might not realize it, but it’s so easy to mistake one breed for another.
Luckily, there are a ton of sources out there to help you figure out which dog breed is right for you. In fact, a St. Louis-based artist named Grace Gogarty has created an adorable comic series that isn’t only entertaining but helps identify most dog breeds.
Grace told Bored Panda, “I’ve been drawing comics since I was a kid. I absolutely love animals so that’s usually my focus! I worked as a supervisor at a doggy daycare for years and got to meet lots of dogs. The breeds featured in this guide are the breeds I met the most of”.
This girl draws a ton of breeds that are pretty popular. So if you’re wondering about Great Danes, Border Collies, Yorkshire Terriers and more…she’s got it! Keep reading to meet the breeds yourself. Hopefully, it’ll give you some clarity on which dog is right for you!
1. According to onegreenplanet.org, people think that Dobermans are a vicious breed that turns on their guardians. But that’s a common misconception. Grace sums it up pretty well in her drawing below.
2. Mentalfloss.com notes that Huskies were originally bred in cold conditions and they are able to run long distances on very little food. Grace hilariously notes that if they don’t get their exercise, your couch will be doomed…
3. I guess while Grace worked with dogs, she differentiated between the three coloured labs. Clearly, all three carry out noticeable differences in personality. But according to PetWave, all labs are loyal, lovable and friendly breeds.
4. Dogtime.com notes that German Shepherds are considered America’s most popular dog breeds. They’re super smart and amazing working dogs. But as pets, Grace notes that they are pretty hilarious, being super loyal but also neurotic at the same time.
5. Pitbulls have had a bad reputation over the years. They’re famous for being seen as a dangerous breed, that attack humans. But according to yourpurebredpuppy.com, not ALL Pitbulls are dangerous…in fact, most of them are safe! Grace sums up their personality pretty well.
6. Great Danes are known as the horses of dog breeds. Dogtime.com describes them as being large and noble…seen as the “Apollo of dogs”. They are typically lazy and are so big that knocking things off the counter is inevitable…as Grace notes.
7. Yorkshire Terriers are seen as vigorous terriers but also are seen as delicate toy dogs, as noted by yourpurebredpuppy.com. That probably explains why Grace wrote what she did in her cartoon…pretty hilarious and spot on!
8. Bernese mountain dogs look like the cuddliest things out there. According to mentalfloss.com, they mature a bit slower than other dogs but if you have patience, they are one of the best family dogs. Super lovable. Grace brings in a hilarious example that sums it up.
9. Yourpurebredpuppy.com describes having a Pug as “never a dull moment.” They are playful and clownish and sometimes calm and dignified. That’s probably why Grace describes them as being a “functional mess”. They are usually all over the place!
10. Golden Retrievers are your typical family dog. Petwave.com describes them as being obedient, playful, well-mannered and great with kids. Grace gives her personal opinion on these breeds, saying that they are basically serious clingers. But I’m sure no human would complain.
11. Poodles and Doodles are pretty hilarious breeds. Petwave notes them as being full of energy and love for not only their owners but anyone who walks past them as well. Grace sums it up perfectly; they are smart enough to know what you are telling them and smart enough to completely disregard them.