The opening night of Taylor Swift’s Reputation tour kicked off May 8th at the University of Phoenix Stadium, in Arizona, packed with over fifty thousand cheering fans, a record-breaking crowd for the venue, according to USA Today. “And in the death of her reputation, she felt truly alive,” is the phrase that covered the 40-foot tall screen that served as a backdrop to Swift’s performance, a reference to her recent struggles in the limelight. From online disputes with Kanye and Kim Kardashian West, which she addressed on stage with encouraging words against cyber-bullying, to a four-year-long ongoing feud with Katy Perry, Swift’s character has been continually in question. Numerous Internet trolls even branded the pop star as a snake by commenting the reptile emoji on all of her photos, a title which she chose to reclaim in rebellion with 6-foot tall serpents scattered across the arenas.
Since her first show, Swift has visited four cities and will continue to perform worldwide until November 21rst, where she ends off in Tokyo. Her stage set-up has become a huge topic of discussion online as admirers marvel at the grandeur of the production and music setlist, which includes hits like Love Story and We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together. Charlie XCX and Camila Cabello are the openers to Swift’s confetti-filled act, which also includes bungee jumping, video projections, countless costume changes and sixteen choreographed dancers. Definitely a Swiftie’s dream come true.
Though Swift’s first concert was extravagant, it was also personal and gave the audience a chance to connect with her on an intimate level. She took the time to talk to fans about her life, sharing experiences that have shaped her and giving advice to others fighting similar battles. “I think that the lesson is that you shouldn’t care so much if you feel misunderstood by a lot of people who don’t know you, as long as you feel understood by the people who do know you—the people who will show up for you, the people who see you as a human being,” she told the crowd. “So thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to get to know me, for showing up for me, for seeing me as a human being.” Scroll down to see the top sixteen jaw-dropping moments of the Reputation tour so far.
1. When she performed with giant snakes. Whether you think a room filled with serpents is a cool dream or a terrifying nightmare, having Swift in the midst of it makes it an unforgettable moment you’ll probably want to relive.
2. When Taylor, Charli XCX, and Camila Cabello performed “Shake It Off” together. How could you not love anything by this trio? The three danced together as they sang one of her hits and made the crowd go wild.
3. When she brought everyone to CHURCH with the intense climax of “Don’t Blame Me,” complete with crazy blue lights, fire shooting into the air and, obviously, Taylor killing the vocals.
4. When Tay brought Shawn Mendes to perform “There’s Nothing Holding Me Back.” Cue heart beating uncontrollably. Mendes brought along his acoustic guitar, awesome dance moves and seriously cute smile.
5. And when she and South-African artist, Troye Sivan slayed “My, My, My.” Sivan even wore a white T-shirt with Swift’s face imprinted on the front to show his love.
6. When she and Selena Gomez performed “Hands To Myself.” The dream team gave fans the ultimate throwback on stage when both stars killed Gomez’s song in matching sparkly black outfits.
7. And to add fire to the already burning hot flame, Selena Gomez gave an amazing speech in honor of her longtime friendship with Taylor. “I don’t know if I would be as strong as I am if I didn’t have you and your family,” she told fans.
8. When Taylor devoured a delicious burger after the show. Once she finished one of the craziest performances on stage, she did what we would all do and went straight for the food.
9. When Taylor and Amber Rose took this amazing and legendary selfie. The two look adorable, closely embracing and doing kissy faces with the Snapchat heart filter after the show.
10. When Bill Nye and Taylor invented science backstage. The scientist paid the singer and her crew a visit to which she thanks him for “being the coolest,” on Instagram.
11. And let’s not forget when Rebel Wilson, Amber Rose and Julia Roberts dethroned the famous Oscars selfie with this photo backstage. So many amazing stars in one picture, it’s just too much to handle.
12. When Taylor performed “Best Day,” a song from her album Fearless, which was released ten years ago, in honor of her mama on Mother’s Day. Brb, while we shed a tear.
13. And when Taylor made Camila Cabello, who was watching from the sidelines, cry by singing everyone’s favorite romantic song,”Love Story.” How could you not start sobbing, I mean really?
14. When her actor and British boyfriend, Joe Alwyn, came to watch her show and couldn’t stop smiling as she sang “Gorgeous,” a song rumored to be dedicated to him.
14. When Katy Perry finally broke their long-time feud by sending Taylor an olive branch and a little note on her opening night that Swift posted on Instagram. The message reads “I’ve been doing some reflecting on past miscommunication and hurt feelings between us.”
16. And last but not least, the most epic part of it all — the costumes. Swifties are serious about their concert gear and stick to the theme perfectly with their on-point DIY looks.