Many celebrities will strive to stay in the spotlight, but some people are happy veering off into the shadows after having their star-making moment. While a life of fame and fortune may seem appealing to most, there are many encumbrances that come with living under the public microscope.
Many actors have chosen to put the Hollywood sign in their rear view mirrors after performances that could very well have set up long-lasting filmographies. While their prominent roles won’t be forgotten, these celebrities’ personal lives have undeniably faded from public conversation.
Here are 12 celebrities we do not hear about anymore and what they are up to today.
1. Leelee Sobieski. The former film and television actress, Leelee Sobieski, had one promising career as a teenager, appearing in hit films such as Eyes Wide Shut and Never Been Kissed. However, Sobieski decided to retire from acting to focus on raising her kids.
2. Jennifer Grey. Most people would think that you’d have solidified your place in Hollywood after starring in a classic film such as Dirty Dancing. However, Jennifer Grey slipped away from the limelight, which she has partially blamed on a nose job “from hell.” “I went into the operating room a celebrity and came out anonymous,” Grey shared.
3. Jonathan Taylor Thomas. Thomas quickly became a 90s teen heartthrob as he grew up on the hit show Home Improvement. The role ended up spawning a successful career in both film and television. However, Thomas decided to turn his attention to academics and enrolled at Harvard University following graduation. In 2010, he graduated from the Columbia University School of General Studies.
4. Edward Furlong. Former teen idol, Edward Furlong, was destined for stardom after playing John Connor in Terminator 2: Judgement Day. His career then transitioned into more independent roles, but his stardom began to fade shortly after 2000. He continues to act today but a series of issues with the law has prevented his career from gaining the traction it once had.
5. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. The Olsen twins joined the ranks of the wealthiest women in the entertainment industry at an incredibly young age. The duo spent a majority of their lives in the limelight, but then made the decision to go behind the scenes of the fashion industry instead.
6. Freddie Prinze Jr. In the late 90s, Prinze was a staple of teen cinema and quickly became the go-to actor for youthful romantic comedies. However, he made a surprising change from acting to working as a director and producer for WWE. He’s also taken up cooking and released his own recipe book.
7. Mischa Barton. Barton became Entertainment Weekly’s “It Girl” of 2003 after starring in the wildly popular teen drama series The O.C. However, legal troubles and bad publicity deterred her acting career from ever taking off. Barton, however, is still is very active as an actress in the independent horror scene.
8. Jamie Lynn Spears. Jamie joined her famous older sister momentarily in the limelight when she appeared on the Nickelodeon sitcom Zoey 101. However, her career went on a hiatus after she became pregnant at a young age, and she never fully recovered after. Spears continues to make country music after releasing her debut single last year.
9. Shane West. West was a star on the rise after starring in multiple teen films, including A Walk to Remember. While he continued a career in acting, his roles became much less high profile. West made a transition into the music world, performing with the punk rock band the Germs, Jonny Was, and Twilight Creeps.
10. Teddy Geiger. Singer-songwriter Teddy Geiger exploded onto the music scene with his debut album, which won him numerous accolades. Geiger’s name faded from the charts after the album’s success, but he still remains relevant behind the music of today’s top hits. Geiger has written songs for multiple renowned artists, including Shawn Mendes, One Direction, and Empire of the Sun.
11. Ryan Cabrera. Cabrera reached his peak fame in 2004 when he had a single on the Billboard Hot 100 and was dating singer Ashlee Simpson. However, he eventually slipped away from the spotlight after. Cabrera continues to make music with the musical conglomerate, Beyond the Sky.
12. Paris Hilton. Former “It Girl” Paris Hilton still keeps herself incredibly busy, but she’s separated herself from the front page of tabloids where she would regularly appear back in the early 2000s. Hilton has found success with various projects that no longer involve exploiting her personal life.