When you met your partner, you probably did not sit down and analyze whether or not they met your standards of a good father. You probably did not have a list that you were checking off.
The good thing (or bad thing) is that many of the attributes that make a good (or bad) partner correspond to attributes that make a good (or bad) father. What that means for you, is that if you’ve chosen a partner who possesses decent values and beliefs, those same values will carry through into his role as a father.
Today, we’ve brought you a list of signs that a man is dad material and will be a good father to your children:
1) He gives full attention: According to Blaire Armstrong from mrsmuffintop.com, giving attention is a sign of a good father. It means he can devote the necessary quality time with his children without being distracted.
2) Keeping promises: Although, in our fast-paced world, it’s easy to get caught up and forget about the promises you make, Armstrong explains that a characteristic of a man who will make a good dad is one who sticks to his word.
3) He’s patient: Before a child can express themselves in an easily-understandable way, it can be difficult to decipher what they need. Holly Riordan of bolde.com says that a good father won’t lose his cool when his kid starts crying in the middle of the night or throws a tantrum in a grocery store.
4) He’s open-minded: When your kid grows up and begins to make personal life choices, you have to allow them to live authentically. Riordan says, “good parents are open-minded, and love their children unconditionally – even if they don’t turn out exactly the way they wanted.”
5) In touch with his inner dork: According to thebump.com, if a guy can be a goofball and nerd out about vastly different topics, that’s probably a sign that he’ll be able to get into (and even debate) kid-centric shows and films.
6) Hard to gross out: JD Roberto from thebump.com says that a guy who isn’t easily grossed out will probably do alright as a dad. He explains, “Daddyhood is not for the faint of heart (or stomach). The man who can calmly wipe radioactive-green projectile poo from his cheek and go right on singing “The Wheels on the Bus” is in good shape.”
7) Values work-life balance: According to Jillian Quint from purewow.com, “when push comes to shove, you’re going to want a man who can tear himself away from his email long enough to read a bedtime story…or 12.” He needs to be able to separate his work from his family time.
8) He can de-escalate conflict: Quint also expressed that an important quality of a good father is someone who can de-escalate conflict. You can see this sign in whether he’s capable of calming you down if you are in the midst of freaking out over multiple competing responsibilities. If he is, Quint says it “might be an indicator that he’ll remain cool and collected when your future child goes bonkers.”
If you found this story interesting, make sure to SHARE this post with all of your friends on Facebook. Click ‘NEXT POST’ for more stories like this!