Who doesn’t love a good Netflix marathon? With so many options to choose from Netflix can have you glued to your couch for hours at a time. There are so many different genres or movies and television shows that it can be a little overwhelming deciding where to begin.
However, did you know that Netflix actually has some hidden features?
Instead of spending countless hours just sorting through the dozens of titles, you can actually get a more detailed search depending on what type of entertainment you’re in the mood for. There is actually a list of secret codes that you can use in order to pick specific shows, and it goes way deeper that separating by genre.
All you have to do is add the secret genre code at the end of the Netflix URL. First, enter this into your browser’s toolbar: www.netflix.com/browse/genre/7687 and replace the XXXX part with the code you’re interested in. So if you’d like to see what Netflix has under their ‘Film Noir’ section, you’d put the code ‘7687’ at the end, resulting in this: www.netflix.com/browse/genre/7687.
Because the genre codes require you to access specific URLs, this trick only works on the Netflix website. That means you can’t use this trick on other hardware like the Netflix phone app, your games console or smart TV. Also, keep in mind that some of the secret codes might not exist anymore due to the fact that Netflix’s algorithm is always changing.
1. You may be familiar with the common genres of film such as comedy, horror, and romance, but what if what you’re looking for is a little more specific?
2. For example, you may be looking for an independent action and adventure movie when on the main page all you can find are mainstream ones.
3. Or perhaps you’re looking for films in a different language such as Indian or Greek and don’t feel like sorting through all the foreign titles?
4. Well, it turns out there is actually a master list of codes that you can use in order to search for very specific genres.
5. From A-Z, this list is chock full of different categories that you may never have thought of before.
6. For example did you know that there are several different independent film sub-genres? Such as Independent comedies, drama, thrillers, etc.
7. You can also do specific age searches. For example, if you’re looking for movies for children aged 0-2 there’s a code for that that differs from looking for movies for kids aged 11-12.
8. Did you know there’s an entire section dedicated to soccer movies? There’s also a ton of different LGBT options rather than them being slammed into one.
9. This list gets so specific, that you might end up spending time reading instead of watching shows. For example, if you’re really in the mood for a scary movie that has to do with the ocean, there’s a category called ‘Deep Sea Horror Movies.’ Who would have thought?
10. The categories are all represented by a four-digit code that you plug into the end of the URL. All you have to do is type in www.netflix.com/browse/genre/*** and your category should come up!
11. So the next time you’re in the mood to watch a courtroom drama you can type in code 2748, and if you’re more in the mood for a drama based on real life you can use 3653. Google Netflix Codes for the full list.
12. So next time you’re going to ‘Netflix and chill’ you’ll be able to impress your date with your impressive Netflix hack.