Cutting your hair can be a nerve-wracking experience, especially if you’ve always had long hair. Probably one the scariest moments ever is when you’re sitting in the salon chair already in a panic as you listen to the hairdresser’s shears snipping away and worrying that they’re cutting off too much of your hard-earned hair, then seeing a chunk of long hair fall to the ground right next to you.
So yes, we totally understand it’s a very difficult experience. But sometimes you need a change and what better way to get it than to change how you style the fluff on your head? Trying something completely different takes courage, but you might be pleasantly surprised with the results. Maybe you’ll discover that your new shorter cut frames your face more nicely or brings out your eyes more.
The possibilities are endless and a simple haircut can make you look like a totally different person, which is always fun. We’ve collected a few examples of women who decided to take the plunge and, believe us, they will inspire you. These short hairstyles are sleek, stylish, and super fun. Best of all, short hair is usually much easier to manage, which means more time to sleep in the morning!
1. For those of you who are scared to take the plunge, this is a great cut. It’s lob length, which means it’s long enough to hit your shoulders so you can still tie it back if you choose to, but it still has some inches off which will give you a fresh change.
2. This pixie cut is just adorable. It looks great on her face and somehow it makes the already young and gorgeous woman look even younger. While the look is definitely edgy, it can also be worn in a slicked-back and sleek way for a night out.
3. This hairdresser is a magician. He delivered this girl from a yellow and rust-coloured, root-showing nightmare to hair heaven. The color is definitely phenomenal and very on-trend, but the cut is also beautiful. Just slightly longer in the front than in the back, but still blunt.
4. This is another example of a perfectly executed pixie cut. Not only does this cut make this beauty look younger and slimmer, but it also shows off her pretty awesome bone structure. Check out that jawline!
5. This mermaid-pink cuteness is the dream but that cut deserves all the attention. This length suits her much better than the awkward length we all have experienced before. If you’re at this length right now, try opting for something shorter.
6. This cut is as summertime as it gets. The lob length that touches your shoulder is very ‘in’ right now and since it’s summer and hot and we’re just trying to get cool, this cut is perfect.
7. If you want to dye your hair a fun color but still need to look professional, why don’t you try this? Go crazy with your color and then get your hairdresser to give you a more classy haircut. This way you look edgy and elegant. Win-win!
8. This cut has the woman looking like a brand new person. It’s somehow made her look 10 years younger. The combination of darker, shorter hair and little baby curls is the perfect hair combination.
9. This is one of the biggest transformations yet. The color before is pretty abysmal, however, thankfully, the stylist has a great canvas to work with length-wise. The final result is a medium-length head of beautiful tresses.
10. This hair is more of a bob than a lob and it frames this girl’s face beautifully. It must’ve been difficult to say goodbye to her beautiful long curly hair but we’d love to see how this new hair looks curly!
11. This hair went from no shape to all the shape. It has much more bounce and volume and it looks like it’s full of life. We definitely know how the owner of the hair feels about it based on the before and after picture.
12. We’ll admit, this girl’s hair looks amazing both before and after. But the cut in the after picture is magnificent. It’s so perfectly even, that it’s almost hard to take your eyes off its smooth edges.