Usually, funny pictures hit you like a ton of bricks; the impact is so quick that you barely have time to process why it’s so funny in the first place. Other funny pictures take some time to realize just how silly they really are.
There’s something to be appreciated in the subtle humor of a picture that requires a second look to get a laugh. These funny pictures might not look like much the first time you take a glance, but upon closer inspection, they’ll make you chuckle when you realize just how easily they had you fooled.
Go through these 16 funny pictures and see how many you can actually understand the first time you look at them… or if it took you a little too long to figure it out.
1. Upon first glance, this may look like a bunch of beige, neatly-lined bar stools at an empty bar. You might have thought, I like those hardwood floors! Well, they’re not floors. Take a closer look and you’ll see that what you thought are stools are actually drinks lined up on a bar in martini glasses. This was a tricky one, wasn’t it?
2. Ah, just your friendly neighborhood garbage truck making a pit stop at a local park… wait. Those aren’t children on those swings! Looks like the garbagemen needed a little break.
3. At first, it might look like this man on a merry-go-round should go in the Guinness Book of World Records for being the first animal-human hybrid with those pig’s feet. However, take a second look and you’ll realize it’s just a funny picture that looks a lot more interesting than it actually is. He’s just riding an artificial pig, nothing to see here folks!
4. Usually, when hockey players engage in fights during the game, their sparring partner isn’t a ghost. In this picture, it looks like a hockey player knocked the head off of the other hockey player he was fighting, but alas, it’s just another funny picture taken at the perfect angle.
5. This worker noticed that whenever their maintenance worker wrote “old” on a box it looked like he was drawing a cartoon face. Once you see it you won’t be able to un-see it. Ignorance is bliss.
6. No, this is not an optical illusion; it’s just a bunch of very similar-looking friends cheering on their team. This is what happens when you hang around the same people for too long; not only do you start to look like each other, but you also start to pose the exact same way for pictures. Freaky.
7. What is a light fixture doing in the sky?! Your initial reaction may have been to try and figure out how such a picture is possible. But once you give this funny picture a second look, you’ll realize that only a reflection could’ve caused this unlikely photo.
8. No, that’s not a bartender wearing a skirt although I have to say my first instinct was to contemplate how uncomfortable it must have been to work while wearing those platform heels. It’s actually just a reflection of the bottom-half of the person he’s handing a drink to. That mirrored bar almost had us fooled!
9. At first, this may just look like a picture of a pole that made its way along a road. If you take a closer look though, you’ll realize it’s actually a sign! Are signs invisible? You might wonder. Nope. Just reflective of the sky.
10. Imagine you’re about to casually take a drink of your hot chocolate and you realize you have none other than Snoopy himself, sitting on his dog house and staring up at the moon. It’s like magic!
11. No, this is not a bug hanging onto the side of a building King Kong style, ready to take over the world. It’s just a bug close to a photographer who happened to be residing in the perfect spot to appear that way in this funny picture. Now that’s a captured moment you’ll remember.
12. If I said this picture didn’t make me hungry for a split second I would be lying. Then I remembered it was actually just a rock that crazily enough looked like a grilled cheese sandwich and I came to my senses.
13. No, this swing is not a manufacturer’s defect although it definitely looks that way. The person who designed this park actually had the clever idea to create a swing for both parent and child so they can enjoy the experience together. I’m going to assume this is, in fact, clever although it’s hard to say until you see it in practice.
14. Don’t we all wish we lived in a world where dogs roamed among us, doing regular people things like riding the train? I mean, it would just make our days so much better, don’t you think? Unfortunately, this dog isn’t a casually dressed train rider but just a dog next to their owner at a very funny angle.
15. As we’ve seen in the previous funny photos, perspective is everything! So are angles! Here’s another example of how these two little details can completely change a picture. From any other view you’d probably not confuse this photo for a guy drop-kicking another guy in a pool of sponge, and yet…
16. Butter on a knife or the perfect scene for some creepy activity in a spooky forest? Who could say for sure?